APPLICATION_HOST_ERR_NO_CONFIGURED_APPS – Unified Service Desk Error

Recently for one of our customer’s who is using Unified Service Desk (USD) faced a strange issue where the user (not all users) was getting an error as below

APPLICATION_HOST_ERR_NO_CONFIGURED_APPS

Strange enough all these issues started all of a sudden and the users who were getting this issue we’re having all the privileges and roles as required to run this app and access the configurations as expected.

Some of the troubleshooting steps which we followed to identify the root cause were as follows,

  • Compared the privileges and roles for the users against the ones for whom it is working.
  • Updated the “ClientCacheVersionNumber” under options – USD configuration.
  • Tried to force reset the cache version for the specific user to make sure client caching is getting reset.
  • We tried by even deleting the “ClientCacheVersionNumber” record from the options list.

None of the above steps worked for us and finally, we asked the end-users (who have reported the issue) to delete the USD local folder (%appdata%/microsoft/USD) and asked to try it again. Fortunately, it started working for one of the users and for another user only this didn’t help. So the next step we tried was by giving extra roles (USDAdministrator & UIIAdministrator) and to our surprise it worked.

This raised alarms for us on why this happened all of a sudden and we have raised a ticket with Microsoft to get an answer so that we all are clear on what is happening behind the scenes. Suggestions/Feedback from Microsoft is as follows,

  1. This could occur, if one USD local machine is used connecting to different organizations (CRM) or if one local machine is used by multiple people (personally I can’t agree to this). The reason being, this could cause conflicts with USD configuration file and users token file in the cache folder causing errors as above.
  2. Microsoft never recommend caching enabled for non-production environments. (Reason is above statement)
  3. If the above two are followed, and still if we have any issues in the lower environments like this the steps to follow to mitigate them is to delete the below two folders,
    1. %appdata%/microsoft/USD
    2. %localappdata%/microsoft/unifiedservicedesk

The second folder turned out to be tricky for us as that is one thing that we missed to clear off. Later we were told that this is caused due to the corruption of cache folder contents and the system was not able to load the application using that folder which confused the system, throwing the above-mentioned error.

Hope that helps !!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s